17 June 2006

Remove Brontok

Yesterday, I went to One Utama with my sister to watched X-Men. I brought two tickets a day before and so did not even worried about being late. On the way there, the rain started to pour. Hmm.. We arrived at the complex half wet and cold. And we thought we were late because the movie should starts at 2:50pm, and my clock showed five minutes late, but as we entered the cinema the screen was still showing ads. Overall it was a great and exciting movie that we forgot how wet and cold we were! :D

Sorry, I should be writing about Brontok, Heh. (some call Rontokbro) This annoying virus has long being one of my concerns but since quite number of people have SMS me asking solution(including somebody yesterday), I decided to tell a simple one here:

*1* Use a removal tool from Kaspersky Lab. ***

*2* I have one from Indonesia.

*3* For advance people who have more time to waste :p refer Syman_tec's removal instructions.

Use AVG or Kaspersky as our antivirus software. As for me, I don't prefer commercial ones like McAfee or Norton. But you can use them if you want to.

Read: Brontok creates application in each folder and rename it using the name of the folder it is located in. Then it masks the application with a folder icon. For example. Your folder name "Homework" will contain a file, which a person may sees it also as a folder name "Homework". If the person mistakenly double-click the application, Brontok will affect user's Windows.

IF YOU DON't HAVE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE and want to be cautious, for Windows' just use search and search the place for example, your pen-drive/thumbdrive with *.exe string. This will search whole computer or certain place(if you specify) for all files with filename that ends with dot exe such as hello.exe, world.exe or sucks.exe. (same if you want to search all Micro_soft Word document files - *.doc). After you get the results, sort them by size. The 'folder-camouflaged' files are usually 42KB in size and you can delete them all. Remember only to delete 'folder-camouflaged' files.

Solutions to overcome viruses are easily obtain nowaday. Use google.

No comments: